Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Fake PSAs and irony

So a lot of people are linking to this video from the "Funny or Die" site with a sarcastic take on the health care debate. Humorous stuff, to be sure.



But has anyone else stumbled across the gobsmacking irony of Hollywood actors poking fun at insurance company executives for being overpaid?

I mean, hello?!?

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not a fan of most insurance companies. The one I use for my property and car coverage is a non-profit, and my take is that health insurance should not be an area of the economy where profit is a driving factor.

But I'm sorry, if a bunch of millionaire showbiz types are going to gang up to mock others for raking in the big bucks, then the ones who should be shame-faced is them.

I looked it up, and for 2008 the compensation of the CEOs at the top seven insurance company averaged $9.5 million. (It would have been a lot less, but the Aetna guy got $24 million, so he brought the average way up.)

Now, $9.5 million is a lot of money. But has anybody asked Will Ferrell how much he banked for making the craptastic "Land of the Lost"?

No comments:

Post a Comment