Friday, August 21, 2009

New "Avatar" trailer

So I am invited to a press screening tonight that I've declined to attend. Normally I try to go to all the screenings the studios offer local critics, especially press-only ones, to encourage them to keep showing them to us.

But this is for a trailer, not an entire film. The studio is trying to build hype for "Avatar," coming out in December, which is the first feature film directed by James Cameron since 1997's "Titanic." (I'm not counting his undersea IMAX film.)

The reason is simple: Reviewing a preview is an exercise in futility. Anyone who watches the trailer for "Inglourious Basterds" and then goes to the see the actual film knows that.

Heightening my puzzlement, I easily found the trailer available online, which I've embedded below. I will say that "Avatar" looks pretty amazing. But for my review of the actual movie, you'll have to wait until it comes out.

1 comment: