Monday, December 15, 2008

Yes, I am the "I am a newspaperman" guy

Since the layoff that hit the Indianapolis Star (along with many other newspapers) cost me my job on Dec. 3, I've gotten lots of inquiries asking if I am the "I am a newspaperman" guy. And yes, yes I am.

They're referring to Jim Hopkins' well-read Gannett Blog, in which he covers the company he (and now I) used to work for. I was a regular reader of Gannett Blog, if for no other reason to learn news about my employer, though I rarely if ever made any comments on the site.

I did make a rather lengthy post the day I got laid off. Jim had asked for people getting the pink slip to report on the circumstances of their layoff. So I put in my two bits. Jim liked it enough that he broke it out as a separate post that got a lot of traffic and comments:

http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/layoff-stories-i-am-newspaperman-well-i.html

For whatever reason, the first sentence and my name got cut off when it became a separate post, which led to the question about my authorship. A number of people from the Indy Star asked me if I wrote it, since it seemed to be in my writing style. Anyways, I did, and I did put my name on it -- in some ways, I consider it my final byline for the Star.

You can see there's a link early in Jim's breakout post that leads you back to my original, complete comment, including my name. Here it is:

http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/layoff-stories-she-was-only-one-close.html?showComment=1228337820000#c1420644947940052567

So anyway, you can see that I did not hide my comments behind a veil of anonymity. Yes, I am the "Newspaper Man." Well, I was.

UPDATE: As you can see from the comments section, Jim dropped by to let us know he updated his post, so my name is now on both. Thanks, Jim!

2 comments:

  1. Great blog, Chris! Hey, as a freelance writer you should post your email address with your bio in case somebody wants to hire you. Good luck with this - the paper has lost a huge talent. - John Strauss, jstrauss@wibc.emmis.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the plug, Christopher. I've added your name to that post; I didn't include it the first time around because I first wanted to confirm it was you before I slapped on your name in such a public place; I didn't have contact information for you until now.

    Welcome to El Blogging!

    ReplyDelete